Are you suffering from dry scalp? Or your loved one is suffering from this symptom. If you are suffering then you are probably very upset about it. The cause of this symptom is that the skin does not have enough oil to keep it lubricated. Like any other dry skin symptoms, this condition can cause irritation, flaking, and itching. To solve this problem, there is a very effective way that many people have been advised; It is to use the best shampoos for dry scalp.
Table of Contents
- What causes dry scalp?
- How to Choose the Best Shampoos for Dry Scalp
- 10 Best Dry Scalp Shampoos
- Tea Tree Oil Shampoo 16 fl oz – Anti Dandruff Shampoo Natural Essential Oil For Dry Itchy & Flaky Scalp – Sulfate Free
- ArtNaturals Organic Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner Set – Sulfate Free
- Neutrogena TGel Therapeutic Shampoo Original Formula
- Wella Elements Shampoo
- Davines Momo Shampoo
- PHYTO Phytheol Dry Hair Moisturizing Scalp Exfoliating Shampoo
- L’Oreal EverStrong Sulfate-Free Hair & Scalp System Thickening Shampoo
- Dove Dermacare Scalp Shampoo, Dryness Itch Relief
- Argan Oil Shampoo
- AVEDA Invati Exfoliating Shampoo
- How to get rid of dry scalp?
- Final thoughts
What causes dry scalp?
Dehydration is listed as the top and most common reason for dry scalp, which happens when people do not drink much water. Harsh detergent shampoo, hard water, and cold weather conditions are some other reasons.
This is because the above ingredients leave behind a synthetic chemical that resides on the scalp and softens and sensitizes the tissue. This contributes to building up weak follicles and disrupts the acid mantle, thereby leaving the scalp vulnerable.
How to Choose the Best Shampoos for Dry Scalp
After you have rinsed your hair properly, you need to clean it with the dry scalp shampoo that can bust dry scalps. But, most shampoos in the market dries the hair out by using harsh ingredients like sulfates. These sulfates, along with removing dirt and grime, also removes essential natural oil in your head, which is something you cannot afford to lose during this flaky problem.
Therefore, while shopping, you need to look for dry scalp shampoo that is free of sulfates. Go for shampoos that have moisturizing and cleansing formulas that can detoxify your hair without being hard on it.
10 Best Dry Scalp Shampoos
The below content, we’ll review the best shampoos and treatments for dry scalp. Then we’ll include some tips at the end for how to get rid of dry scalp.
Tea Tree Oil Shampoo 16 fl oz – Anti Dandruff Shampoo Natural Essential Oil For Dry Itchy & Flaky Scalp – Sulfate Free
A product of First Botany Cosmeceuticals, this is the best dry scalp shampoo that is great for dry and itchy scalp and dandruff. It is free of paraben and sulfate and helps by soothing the scalp, all while keeping your hair shiny and retaining the moisture.
This shampoo strengthens the hair roots, thereby increasing the volume and promoting the growth of your hair. It is suitable for all genders and ages. It is not tested on animals and is cruelty–free and is certified.
- Suitable for all textures and types of hair
- Shampooing with this oil shampoo results in softer hair which smells better than before
- Does not burn eyes or scalp
- A few reviews state that product only made their scalp worse
- Some find the odor of the product too strong for liking
ArtNaturals Organic Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner Set – Sulfate Free
This dry scalp shampoo is free of sulfates and is totally organic, containing hydrolyzed proteins, keratin, botanical oils and extracts and Argan oil. This shampoo is great because it promotes hair protection, strengthening and moisturizing. The results can be seen almost immediately.
The shampoo is cruelty-free and the product has not been tested on any animal. When used with its conditioner, your hair will become almost unbreakable. Affordability is another benefit of this shampoo; this shampoo is a good value for the investment.
- The shampoo contains organic ingredients
- Capable of repairing hair from the roots to the ends
- Can be used by all genders and ages
- Low levels of lathering and foaming
- The scent of the shampoo is not very enjoyable
Neutrogena TGel Therapeutic Shampoo Original Formula
A patented ingredient called Neutar makes this shampoo so different from other coal and tar based shampooing solutions. Neutar continues delivering therapy for long hours even after the shampoo has been washed off.
The additional moisturizing agents in the shampoo cleanse the hair and scalps effectively. This shampoo should be used only be used twice a week. This shampoo has been recommended by many dermatologists based on the splendid results of many patients.
- This shampoo is very affordable and lasts a long time
- Doctors and physicians recommend this shampoo as it effectively helps treat dry scalps and dandruff
- The patent Neutar is effective in treating severe dry scalp and dandruff conditions
- Does not have a pleasant smell
Wella Elements Shampoo
Wella Elements shampoo is one of the best sulfate-free shampoos in the market today. The smell of it is great and like a muskmelon. It will leave your hair silky and smooth for at least three days. This shampoo with thoroughly clean every layer of grime and dirt off your hair and keep it clean.
According to many reviews, the shampoo effectively cleans, enhances and rehydrates the hair that you will love the smooth tresses almost immediately. This shampoo is recommended by doctors if you are looking for a shampoo that will boost the volume of your hair.
- Mess-free, efficient and nice packaging.
- The beautiful aroma stays behind even after the hair is dried.
- The shampoo delivers a runny and transparent consistency.
- The cost is too high for a daily-use shampoo.
Davines Momo Shampoo
A family-owned business, this shampoo cleans your hair and replenishes the moisture using extracts from cartucciaru melons, thereby resulting in maximum hydration and shine. It smoothens the hair and moisturizes it for maximum manageability.
The shampoo has a wonderful smell and quality. Also, the products are cruelty-free. After using the shampoo, your hair will be thick, full, shiny, and will never feel dried out for a long time.
- With many positive results, this shampoo has hit a high note with its consumers
- Repairs any type of hair damage very effectively
- Works wonderfully with various after-shampoos creams as well
- The shampoo does not smell nice
- Can be a bit on the expensive side
PHYTO Phytheol Dry Hair Moisturizing Scalp Exfoliating Shampoo
This shampoo has been formulated especially for the most intense and severe cases of dry scalps and dandruff. It can easily and rapidly eliminate any collected follicles and gives you long-lasting results. The shampoo is best for hair types like coils, curly, wavy, and straight.
The shampoo is cruelty-free and vegan in nature. Also, it does not contain harmful ingredients like petrochemicals, talc, mineral oils, phthalates, gluten, silicones, and Parabens. You can use it three times a week for an intense treatment.
- The shampoo will clean your scalp thoroughly
- Improves the overall health of the hair
- Lathers well and smells great
- Can be expensive for some buyers
L’Oreal EverStrong Sulfate-Free Hair & Scalp System Thickening Shampoo
This is an easy-to-find and affordable shampoo contains amino acids that restore and brings weak hair back to life. By removing hair-weakening scalps, this shampoo can make your hair free from split ends, stronger and thicker than before.
These shampoos are free from sulfate and any other ingredients that are responsible for major hair problems. Since it is very affordable as well, it has grown exponentially in popularity.
- Rehydrates the scalp and hair
- Restores the original volume of your hair
- The shampoo cleanses the hair and scalp thoroughly
- Does not add shine to the hair
Dove Dermacare Scalp Shampoo, Dryness Itch Relief
This shampoo has been made to battle damage and dullness caused by the daily pollution and harsh sun that dries up the scalp and damages the hair. With a little coconut and butter scent, this shampoo can nourish your dry scalp, relieving you from that irritable and itchy sensation.
The shampoo also has various ingredients that help solve the problem of dryness. The smell is refreshing and light and the texture of the shampoo is creamy. It frees your hair from dirt, grime, and grease with ease.
- Since the formula is mild, it can be used on a daily basis
- Effectively adds bounce and volume to your hair
- Makes the hair softer and shinier than before
- Availability is very limited
- For some reviewers, this shampoo was not much effective
Argan Oil Shampoo
This therapeutic shampoo roots out hair and scalp problems that are associated with chemical shampoo treatments. It contains a huge range of ingredients like almond oil, jojoba oil, argan oil, avocado oil, botanical keratin, camellia seed oil, etc.
The company has proved itself over and over again that there is no shampoo that nourishes complexion, soothes scalp irritation, conditions the scalp and replenishes the keratin levels. This shampoo is cruelty-free.
- This shampoo works on all hair types
- Ranked as one of the best shampoos in the world
- Best shampoo for colored hair
- You need to use the shampoo more than often to see the results
AVEDA Invati Exfoliating Shampoo
AVEDA’s shampoo renews, cleanses and exfoliates the scalp using salicylic acid and removes the buildups that block the pores. The nourishing formula in the shampoo protects the hair from breaking off as well.
Using the shampoo will result in longer lasting and thicker hair. Using it with a conditioner will deliver thick hair and weightless conditioning. It will reduce dryness of the hair and scalps. All products of the company are cruelty-free and do not harm any living creature.
- Contains only natural ingredients
- The packaging of the shampoo is very sustainable
- Delivers expected results
- You will need to use the shampoo for more than 12 weeks before you can see the results
- The smell of the shampoo can be overwhelming at first
How to get rid of dry scalp?
There are many choices for treating dry scalp effectively. In the end, it all depends on what is ultimately causing the problem.
One reason why your hair is dull and your scalp is flaky and itchy is because it’s not producing enough natural oil. This problem can be solved easily by reintroducing the nourishment it requires. All you need to do is look for a deep conditioning or hot oil treatment at your local supply shop. If you use the hot oil treatment at least twice in a week, it will help soothe and moisturize the dry and itchy scalp.
Switching the shampoo
As we already know, dry scalp can also be caused by using hard shampoo or shampooing too often. If you have dry and dull hair or a flaky and dry scalp, you can try switching your shampoo. Check and go for the best shampoo for dry scalp, which has a gentler formula and can be used every alternative day.
Use the dry scalp shampoo while bathing in warm water every other day. Washing with hot water every day can dry out the scalp and hair. You also need to avoid products that contain alcohol that can dry out your hair and scalp, like hairsprays, mousses, and gels. You also need to limit your use of the heat appliances, like a blow-dryer.
Maintain your diet
Eating unhealthy food can also have a negative impact on your scalp and hair. Lots of sugar can lead to flaking and dry scalp. Therefore, no matter how hard it is, you need to lower your trips to the ice cream trucks and reduce the intake of desserts.
Hydrate your skin on the inside by drinking a lot of water. This will naturally keep your scalp and overall skin moisturized. You also need to cut down on alcohol and salt and increase your intake of omega-3 fatty acids.
From the above list of best shampoos for dry scalp, we hope you find the right shampoo that will help you fight dry scalps that can cause a lot of irritation, itching, and loss of hair in the long run. You need to take care of your hair so that it does not happen.